MSPGH is co-hosting an international webinar on Tuesday 8 December at 9am with VicHealth, The Obesity Policy Coalition (Cancer Council Victoria) and the George Institute
About the documentary:
“El Susto” (The Shock), produced and directed by Karen Akins is a powerful documentary that tells the alarming story of how the soda industry is undermining
the health of entire nations. Mexico’s Number One Killer is not cartels. It’s Type 2 Diabetes. El Susto tells the story of how courageous public health activists in Mexico
stirred a giant, the powerful beverage industry, aka “Big Soda”, when they took action to curb sugary drink consumption, with sobering and inspiring lessons for the rest of the world.
About the webinar:
The University of Melbourne is co-hosting an international webinar with VicHealth, The Obesity Policy Coalition (OPC, Cancer Council Victoria) and The George Institute for Global Health (TGI) to discuss:
• the impact of film on beverage industry in Mexico and
• the global perspective of the problem and what’s
happening around the word to tackle Big Soda
• the tactics that soda industry uses to demonstrate its
dominance around the world and specifically in Australia
• and finally, what learnings can be drawn from the efforts
put in Mexico, to fight Big Soda in Australia.
Facilitated by Ms Yasmin Poole, youth advocate and Plan International Ambassador, our esteemed panel will include national and international public health experts and
• Dr Sandro Demaio CEO, VicHealth
• Dr Simon Barquera, Mexico, is heavily featured in the film
• Prof Marion Nestle, USA, is an international leader in
• Dr Alexandra Jones, Australia, global health lawyer, TGI
• Ms Karen Akins (Director/Producer of El Susto)
• Prof Rob Moodie, Australia, University of Melbourne
• Ms Jane Martin, Australia, OPC
Ms Yasmin Poole appears by arrangement with Claxton Speakers International.