A Federal election is drawing ever nearer. It is time to consider the vital role of MIGRATION LAW REFORM to achieve justice for asylum seekers and refugees. This briefing will discuss changes needed to the Migration Act 1958.
On Wednesday 20th October at 6 pm, join speakers from Liberty Victoria to learn about the significance of this topic. Over the years, conditions have worsened for refugees due to multiple and on-going amendments to the Act.
The following Liberty Victoria Policy Committee and Refugee and Asylum Seekers Subcommittee members have confirmed their attendance:
• Julian Burnside AO QC (Immediate Past President)
• Sister Brigid Arthur
• Pamela Curr OAM
• Hannah Dickinson
• Virajith Hewaarachchi
• Greg Hanson.
Topics to be addressed from a legal and policy perspective will include:
• What are the priority items for change to the Migration Act if the government changes?
• What can be done to improve the immigration detention system?
• What government agencies can assist to promote and support pathways to a just Migration Act?
• What actions by community groups might best help to bring about legal and policy reform?